Translate

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Owning My First Amendment Right

I always have felt an intense sense of guilt for confronting people when I think they are wrong.  It's always seemed like I am disturbing the peace, or hurting their feelings.  And lately, I have come to a sense of peace with this.  I've come to a conclusion, and I'm no longer bothered by it anymore--my being open, in the end, protects other people.

That said, I have a line.  There has to be a line.  I don't say something EVERY single time I don't like something--that would be incredibly negative and reactive.  I only say it when it truly counts and I KNOW that decisions will affect others negatively, and that by not saying something, I would be hurting others even more.  And I think at younger ages, it was harder for me to decide when these lines occurred, and I often remained quiet and would beat myself up about it later.  Not anymore.

From now on, I am open when I think a choice is immoral and affects a large group of people.  I am transparent about it.  And I say it immediately.  Not to be rude, not to cause drama, but because I know that this will affect people negatively and will continue to if I don't say something from the start.  I also want these choices to be really well-thought out.  Can you imagine a world where people, without thinking, constantly made choices that affect others negatively without thinking twice about it?  Unfortunately, we can all agree that this ALREADY happens far too often.  Sometimes just alerting someone to the act is enough to help others, at least for the future.

A sense of transparency and honesty not only creates trust between myself and other people, but creates fear in those who are prone to lying because they know, not only do they have to hold themselves accountable with me, but all of those who I open up to.  And they know that because my intentions are always pure of heart, those people will trust me to be open for the right reasons.

If I were a selfish person, someone who didn't care about other people, their well-being, their happiness and their success...I would not be a reliable person for any sort of information.  However since all of that is my top-priority, it's pretty hard not to trust me and rely on me as a solid source of protection, information, and transparency.


I don't trust people as I did before.  I think deep down, people are good.  But too often, good people rationalize poor decisions, and they don't realize how much they hurt others.  As human-beings, it's our duty to alert people to poor decision-making when it hurts themselves or others.  And too often we rationalize poor decisions.  We sensationalize the quiet, call them graceful, and say they are peaceful, classy.  Yet these same people are cowards and don't speak up when the going gets tough.  They allow bad things to happen to people, because they are afraid of how they will look--the definition of selfish.  I don't want people around me who aren't able to speak out when something is wrong.  I want protectors, I want heroes, I want people who are strong and can speak their minds.  They come in all shapes and colors, all formats of speech.  And yes, some are quieter than others.  But I want to see people's ability to speak out for others.  I want to see leadership in others.  I want to see love for other people, with every decision other people make.  The need to impress needs to be forgotten.  It's selfish, it hurts others. Life should not be about how you look, but what you've done to help others.  How you've committed to that and what you have sacrificed to do that, makes you strong, makes you brave, and makes you a better person and the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment